Tuesday, January 13, 2009

9 Movies I Enjoyed This Year

"Our chief - in his ceaseless care for his people - lived in a humble wikuom and ate the simplest food. This Stewart, who cared nothing for his men, was given the very best food and lodging."
--Mouse, in the novel Cibou, by Susan Young De Biagi

Best 9 movies I saw last year:

1. Homicide: Life on the Streets, Seasons 1-7 + made-for-tv movie: Technically not a movie but probably the best cop show ever - a lot of the people involved went on to make The Wire which I hear is even better.

2. Adaptation: Charlie Kaufman is just so brilliant for the layers of dramatic irony, the stories within the stories, and the pathetic insecure writer as character. One of my favourite movies.

3. On the Waterfront: Classic Hollywood Brando union story. "I coulda been somebody...Instead of a bum, which is what I am."

4. Instinct: In which white man learns from silverback gorillas, goes to the loony bin, teaches young black man what he learned. When I put it that way, it sounds terrible doesn't it? But it's a surprisingly good adaptation of Ishmael, considering that book (as much as I loved it) had almost no plot to work with. They did a great job getting the basic idea across and creating their own plot.

5. The Dark Knight: Some have called it over-rated, over-hyped. I disagree. Ledger was freaky and engrossing; the high-flying Chinese cityscapes gave me vertigo, I was on the edge of my seat through the whole thing.

6. Whale Rider: Beautiful magic-realist tale of a Maori girl-chief.

7. Inner Strength: All it is, is shots of six different couples giving birth at different times, but all in a Dutch birth centre. Almost no dialogue other than moaning and screaming and crying. It is absolutely beautiful.

8. The Man Without a Past: Stoic Finnish skid row bums playing funk music for the salvation army. It doesn't get much better.

9. The Battle of Algiers: Incredible realism, unblinking look at both the French and Algerian atrocities of war. Has a documentary feel but isn't a documentary. Gripping stuff.

Labels:


Comments:
Unlike the music of which I heard none I can say that I at the least have seen Dark Knight and agree.
 
oh man ..
i'm so behind in my movie watching ..
but i do have to agree ..
whale rider is a wonderful movie ..
 
I liked Instinct too. I saw it a few years ago now.

Waking Ned is one of my Gran's favorite films.
 
Loads to catch up with. Plenty I haven't seen. Thanks for the list.
 
Homicide was one of the first cop shows I ever watched. Pembleton was a badass.

I thought Eckhart was almost as good as Ledger in Knight; charting the rise and fall of Harvey Dent.

But you never knew what the Joker was going to do next...

Check out 'Primer' if you get the chance. It's an ultra-low budget sci-fi flick made 'for the price of a used car'.
 
TWM: fun movie; too bad about Ledger.

Foam: It was such a great story.

Crushed: Your Gran has good taste.

MD: You're welcome.

Toast: Primer. I've written that down.
 
Best of Books is coming soon...
 
I coulda been somebody. I could have been a contenda!

Yeah, I can dig it.

:) Was a "contenda", but got knocked out.
 
Ivan: better to have contended and been knocked out than never to have contended at all.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?